It certainly seems to be the in-thing to talk about 'going green' at present. There's been a very apparent shift in the psyche of a number of communities here in New Zealand especially, and thankfully government, businesses (big and small) and individuals around the world are beginning to wake up and take action.
As mother's of 5 children between us, we have felt increasingly more pressure to make our day-to-day actions more environmentally friendly. It's a slow step-by-step process, but with each minute change we feel that much more empowered and encouraged and the realisation that making life that little bit more environmentally friendly just makes sense, and isn't really that difficult.
Here are some of the simple ways to be more environmentally conscious that we have discussed with our children:
- Grow your own fruit & vegetables
- Reduce the amount of meat consumption - Meat Free Monday's is a great start!
- Reduce the use of single-use/disposable items - Cling wrap / lunch wrap is a BIG one!
- Avoid BPA drink bottles and containers
- Have shorter showers
- Turn off lights when not in use
- Turn off water when brushing teeth - kids have this one down pat already!
- Make your own natural creams & lotions
- Print documents as little as possible to reduce paper wastage
- Recycle bottles, cans and paper
- Use reusable bags at the grocery store
- Reduce your food waste. This just takes a little bit of creativity in the kitchen ;)
- Plant a tree
- Use reusable water bottles
- Opt for paperless billing
There are many ways you can start living more thoughtfully, the above are just a few simple ideas that are easily implemented in a household. Making a few of these conscious changes is an awesome start. Individual action is the way to a cleaner, greener planet, one that will be there for our children to enjoy.